Sunday, September 18, 2011

9 years!!!!!!

I know a girl who has been dating a guy for 9 years! Well, she's not a girl, she a woman in a her late 20s. I don't think I could do that. 9 YEARS!!! Things looked a little iffy, and it didn't really look like their relationship was going towards marriage. By looking at them together I felt that if they DID get married it would probably end in divorce. I know that is a horrible thing to say, but I'm being honest. This lady is very beautiful inside and out, smart, hard-working, and with a good career. The guy is...... ummm eh. When I first met her I thought she was sooo fabulous, definitely a role model. I remember seeing some scraggly dude with her, and when she introduced him as her boyfriend I was like "noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!." I met her about 2 years ago and she was ready for him to put a ring on it. Now they broke up. There is nooooooo way I would be able to stay in a relationship that long without some promise of marriage. 9 freaking years!!!!!! AH AH!!!

I mean I understand that there are special circumstances. Sometimes you're too young, or sometimes you're still in school, or maybe it's a long distance thing.

For example, I have an aunty who went to school to become a doctor of pharmacy. Her husband also was in medical school. They met in their late 20s and were also a little late to go to school and get their degrees. These two dated for a looooooong time.  However everyone knew they were going to get married. The minute they finished school, they got married and had a son.

I was watching Say Yes to the Dress on TLC, and I saw a 50 something year old bride that had been engaged for almost 25 years!!!!!  They had lots of problems and illness in the family and they kept pushing back their wedding. CRAZY!!!!!

My goodness!!!!

I think it's different if you KNOW that you two are going to get married, as opposed to one person in the relathionship HOPING that there will be a proposal.

I told my mom and she said it's because the guy is an Akata (the girl is Nigerian). I'm not even gonna go there. lol.